Gems from Part IV - Implementing a PMO
Chapter 25 presents a general proposal template in considerable detail, suitable for presentation to the corporate executive. The template starts out with the executive summary commitment letter proposing to
" ... accomplish the following key objectives:
- Produce an executive-sanctioned, prioritized enterprise project portfolio
- Build knowledge and skills to improve delivery performance
- Track, report, analyze, and improve project portfolio performance
- Replace deficient project management processes with standard and best practice tools, methods, and processes
- Drive higher value from project management training skills development
- Implement PM help desk"
The template goes on to describe the Business Case; the Scope of the PMI implementation project; the Approach, the Risks; and the Costs and Benefits.
"A PMO must be launched with comprehensive top executive buy-in in order to be successful. Otherwise, your PMO will languish into obscurity. This buy-in must be obtained because:
- Executives are at the root of the multi-project nightmare. Without their full understanding and support, you will never solve the constant fights over resources and reprioritizations
- Cross-functional executive support is an absolute must to make the PMO work in every aspect of what it does
- There can be no meaningful governance without top executive participation"
To summarize, the authors point out that to implementing a healthy PMO:
"The basics involve the following critical success factors:
- Continuous pursuit of project delivery value, in the eyes of the key stakeholders, especially the senior management
- Acceptance of the discipline of consistent, timely, and useful project portfolio and progress information, reporting, and feedback
- Encouraging project teams to embrace and seek help from the PMO
- PMO capability to capitalize on project delivery opportunities and help avoid threats
- Full senior management support for the PMO establishment"
14. Ibid, p345
15. Ibid, p359
16. Ibid, p383