Published here December 2008.
For the project management office concept to work effectively, the following conditions must exist:
- Senior management must be committed to the disciplined and consistent application of formal project management to all projects.
- The project management office should report directly to an executive or an executive group at the level of project sponsorship; that is, the same level to which project managers report.
- The project management office must be staffed with individuals who collectively possess the following types of knowledge, skills, and personal traits:
- Expertise in project planning and control methodologies
- Expertise in using project management software tools
- Expertise in implementing and integrating software tools
- Familiarity with the business, technical, and political aspects of the projects performed in the organization
- Interpersonal skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Process discipline
- Attention to detail
- The project management office must be equipped with the computing hardware and software necessary to support the function.