Published here September 2011

Introduction | The Business Case | The Preferred Solution
Risks and Issues | Detailed Planning | PART 2

Risks and Issues

Of course we did a project risk assessment with a view to mitigation during more detailed planning. Most of these risks are fairly obvious, for example:

  • Scope:
    Would we really be able to part with a lot of belongings that could no longer be accommodated but nevertheless held strong emotional attachment? For example, workshop woodworking equipment would clearly be inappropriate, and meant giving up a lifetime of hobby activity. Similarly, what about the sewing machine, accessories and resource materials so essential in a hobby of this sort?
  • Quality:
    Would we be able to adjust to our new surroundings, in particular switching from a relatively independent existence to one with lots of people around? Would we feel comfortable and compatible?
  • Time:
    Given all that we hoped to accomplish before hand, such as the "environmentally-friendly" disposal or sale of belongings, would we really be ready in six months? On the other hand, would the accommodation that we had discussed with SILC actually be available when needed?
  • Cost:
    Could we actually sell our house in the required time frame and having done so, realize sufficient capital to meet our future cash flow projections through relatively safe investments?

Decision time

We were well pleased with our stay at SILC and promptly put down a very modest deposit of $500. This would give us first refusal on the next available pair of adjacent suites that could be simply "knocked into one" by a connecting doorway. We did emphasize that we would not be ready for six months. While this solution required a particular configuration, and two such suites becoming vacant at the same time, the managers felt that such an opportunity could come up within the next six months.[7]

The consequence of this action meant that our project started in earnest in November with a view to taking possession of our new accommodation at the beginning of May. The actual move would be two weeks later to allow for the structural alterations we expected.

The Preferred Solution  The Preferred Solution

7. A further constraint by the building owners was that they were only willing to consider alterations to the second floor and then within certain parts of the building. It seemed to us that this was all becoming a pretty long shot. However, in the event, a suitable suite became vacant at a time that fitted our schedule. The managers then kindly negotiated with the occupant of the adjacent suite to take a minor "upgrade" in another part of the building, thus freeing up the two suites for us.
Home | Issacons | PM Glossary | Papers & Books | Max's Musings
Guest Articles | Contact Info | Search My Site | Site Map | Top of Page